Thursday, October 7, 2010

Food Update

On Monday, I started to eliminate a few types of food from my diet.  In case you don't know, I had a blood test a while ago that showed that I have multiple allergies.  Unfortunately, they are all foods that I love and crave!  Along with that, this blood test is known for it's false postives.  One of the areas that I showed an allergy was certain cheeses and cow's milk as well as wheat, gluten, and yeast.  There were a few others also, but these are the ones that I am going to have trouble living without, at least initially.

The next step, according to my PCP is to meet with a dietician and do an emination diet.  Unfortunately, now that I am working, scheduling appointments is extremely diffcult with 3 little ones.  My PCP suggested that I eliminate the foods on the test that scored a 3, so that is what I decided to do.  I have been tryin gto do this since I got the results about 1 month ago, but have failed in everyway possible.  I finally attempted it this Monday and I have succeeded so far.  This is absolutely huge for me.  I have never gone this long without wheat, gluten or dairy.  Since it's only been 4 days, I'm not sure if I have noticed anything yet or not, but I will continue to remain as strict as I can.  I do have a dinner Saturday, which could prove difficult, but not impossible.  If, for some reason, I do poorly that night, I will get right back on the horse and eat the way I am supposed to.

I have attempted an elimination diet in the past and I believe you have to be off the eliminated foods for around 3 months before you start re-introducing them back into your diet.  With that, I assume that I won't really feel any changes for a little while longer.  I really do need to make an appointment with the dietician, I just need to find out when I get get a sitter or I need to take time off from work.

So, for now, I am eliminating foods, researching a gluten free, casein free diet, and will also start researching elimination diets.  I will get an appointment with the dietician as soon as possible and figure out the best way to go.  There is the fear that the dietician will want to do another test, but I will have had to have been eating the things that I am eliminating.  That will be better than having to do the elimination diet, but if I am eliminating things, I'd don't necessarily want to add them back in after I have eliminated them for a good amount of time.  I guess that means that I should really get the appointment sooner than later so that I figure out what is necessary.  Now that I think about it, I guess I could actually e-mail the dietician and see if she would have me start eliminating foods or if I should wait until I am able to meet with her.  I guess I am really glad I decided to write about this.  It has helped my thinking process a bit!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment