Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Disconnect!

Recently, I started looking at a book called Nourishing Traditions.  I had thought I wanted to buy it, but after realizing what it is all about, and not that it's bad it's just not the direction I want to go, I decided that I most likely won't buy it.  What this book did for me though, was to make me think about my diet and how I eat.  I've already written that I have food addictions and I also have an issue with over eating and hiding the food that I eat.  What I realized first is, I have a real disconnect with food!  If you were ask me how I feel after eating certain foods, for the most part I wouldn't notice if I felt different eating certain foods.  I would also say that I couldn't tell you why I eat certain foods, why I over eat, if there are certain triggers that make me eat certain foods or at certain times of the day.  The only thing that I could tell you is that, I tend to eat food whose taste lingers in my mouth.  I tend to want that taste no matter how full I am.

My husband and I have been trying to eat a more vegan diet.  Mainly for health reason, but also for animal rights reasons, at least on my part, I won't speak for my husband.  Unfortunately with the summer here and the grill being used as well as my children seeming to eat more animal protein (they are only 3 and 2 1/2 ), I have found myself eating way more meat that I would like.  One thing I recently noticed is that when I have meat, especially beef, I tend to over eat it.  I'm sure, actually I know that there are other foods like that for me.  Because of this realization, I have decided that I think eating more vegan is the right way for me to eat.  I am also thinking that I need to start a food journal.  I really need to connect more with my food and really focus on why I am eating what  and is there something else non food related that is more what I need?

Now my dilema with going back to eating more vegan is, "What are some good ways to eat vegan in the summer months?"  I really enjoy beans, soups, stews, roasted veggies, rice, but I want to enjoy summer also and I really don't desire eating those heavy foods.  I wrote in yesterdays post that I was thinking about looking at the raw foods diet for the summer.  I still think I will do that, but if anyone has any thoughts on how to maintain a vegan lifestyle through the summer (since I just started going plant strong), and/or any recipes, I would love it!  I would love some good blogs sites as well!

Now as for the handmade part of my blog, I seriously need to get creating again.  Hopefully in the near future, I will be able to find some time to do this!  I have lots of projects, just not enough time to make them!

I am also thinking that I know the direction that I want to go when I truly get back into the workforce.  I am thinking that I want to move towards nutritional counseling and education.  I need to get myself on track first, but I really think I would enjoy that.  Now I just need to figure out how to do this over the next 3-5 years!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment