Friday, February 1, 2013

Trying to Find My Niche

So, I've changed the name of my handcrafting blog with the hopes of starting to sell.  At this point, I haven't actually made anything that I can post on an etsy.com page.  I am trying to figure out what I want my first piece to be.  I've been trying to figure out my niche.  I can't say that I like a certain type of handcrafting.  I love sewing, knitting, paper crafts, jewelry, clay, etc.  Pretty much anything I can make, I love!

If there is one thing that I would say is my niche, it would be creating small, simple items.  Partly because I love to be able to finish something fairly quickly.  I love the sense of completion and satisfaction I have when I complete a project I have been working on.  What I don't like is a project that takes forever to complete.  Some people have no problem working on a large complex project.  I, on the other hand, don't have the patience or the attention span to work on projects that are large and complex.

The other niche I have been thinking about is making sure that each piece I create has something more handmade than just supplies bought at a craft store.  I've been thinking that all the things that I am interested in can help play a role in this.  For example, I want to learn to make my own glass beads.  I can put some handmade beads into a jewelry creation along with beads that I have bought at a store.  I can see my own fabric and add that to a project that uses both store bought fabric and fabric that I have dyed myself.  These are just some of the things that I have been thinking about.  There are many different things that I can make to add to store bought supplies.  I can potentially dye yarn, make clay pendants, make handmade paper, and I'm sure many other things.

These are just some of my thoughts.  We'll see how it goes. Right now, I'm off to collect things to make  thank you cards for my twins birthday.  While I make the cards, I plan to let the kids rubber stamp their own pictures.  Maybe I'll even create my own paper with the kids.

Happy Creating,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment