Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Getting Back Our Health

I always have these goals, dreams, desires, wants and never seem to actually follow through.  My goal of being healthy and having a healthy family is not something that I can afford to not follow through on!  I need to get back to buying healthy foods, cooking healthy meals and snacks, and not giving into temptation.  I need to not give into the kids' wants for unhealthy foods.  I need to make sure that we have healthy snacks that can take care of certain cravings that we have i.e., salt or sugar.  I need to have healthy juices and mostly give the kids water.

My health, my husband's health, and my oldest son's health depend on me, my shopping, and my cooking. My twins health also depends on me to, but they are healthy and I just need to keep them that way.  My husband has high blood pressure, I have had issues with pregnancy induced and stress induced blood pressure as well as food sensitivities, and my BRCA2 positive status, and my oldest son has food sensitivities that seem to cause him to have spacey, behavior issues as well as sleep issues, skin issues and others.  Sometimes, I think I may have spacey issues related to food.  I want to make sure that my twins have a good foundation with food so that as they get older and have more temptations, they will have a good foundation to know what choices to make.

My goal is to start to research what food does to all of us.  I know that we need to have gluten out of the house, sugar out of the house, and dairy out of the house.  I am fearful that my oldest son has signs and symptoms of autism and I really want to make sure that what we eat is not contributing to those signs and symptoms.  I want to teach my children how to make healthy choices as well as re-teach myself and teach myself some new ideas on health.

This is not going to be easy on any of us, but it is something I need to do.  One of the hard things is going to be to allow my kids to refuse meals because they want to eat unhealthy foods.  My biggest issue with this is that they are all on the low end of the weight scale.  I don't want them to lose weight, but I don't want that to be a reason that they have poor eating habits.  They say that kids will eat and will not starve.  I just need to remember that I need to stay strong and offer healthy foods for all of us and deal with some of the potential withdrawal symptoms so that we get to the healthy place that I want us to be and crave healthy foods, not foods that are bad for us.  I want to be able to listen to my body and give it what it needs.  I want my kids to be able to learn this too.  Day by day and even moment by moment, is how I need to look at this.  I need to get us all on track so that we can move forward and be healthy!

Amy

1 comment:

  1. Amy,
    Your children are young and now is the BEST time to get them in the habit of eating right.. What most people don't realize is that parents tend to put their likes and dislikes on their children (with out even knowing it..) The Boy lived in his father's house and The Monkey lived with me.. The Boy is a picky eater. The Monkey eats all kinds of foods. She is even willing to try new things. As a two year old she would freak out people by eating spinach and beets. Stand your ground. You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete