Monday, October 14, 2013

Creativity

It took some time, but I have decided that I don't want to limit myself to one creative medium.  At one point, I was thinking that I need to focus on one area and become totally proficient and perfect at it, but I don't think that is what I want or need to do.  There are too many creative avenues that I want to experience and I can't imagine limiting myself to only one.

I do need to spend time getting proficient in each area that I like, but I don't have to only, for example, make quilts.  I can make paper, scrapbook, quill, make jewelry, create with clay, create with class.  I just need to spend time doing each of the things I like and learn how to get good at it.

There are some things that I am comfortable with my level of proficiency, but there are other areas that I need to learn more.  Some of it is just practice, and some of it I really need to learn more.  I am pretty proficient at making jewelry.  I'm sure there are a lot of things to learn but I know the basics.  I know the basics of quilting, but I could practice more.  I know the basics of hand sewing and embroidery but can practice more.  I know little to nothing about glass and want to learn more.  I feel very comfortable with making soap.  I feel pretty comfortable with most paper crafts, but I know that there is more that I want to learn.

When I thought of not creating with a certain medium or only creating with a specific medium, I just really got sad.  I love creating so much that I can't imagine limiting myself.  On the other hand, I also know that there are things that I don't enjoy as much.  Taking a painting class is ok, but it's not what makes me smile.  Playing with finer makes me smile.  Glass makes me smile.  Paper crafting, in all forms, makes me smile.  Clay makes me smile.  Photography makes me smile. And, finally, making jewelry makes me smile.

I like smiling!  Smiling is good for all of us!  I think we all need to figure out what makes us smile and then do it!  Now I just need to figure out how to do what makes me smile for a career!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment