Tuesday, October 1, 2013

"Unprocessed October"

I'm taking some inspiration from my Facebook friend and fellow twin mom over at http://bonusrounds.blogspot.com and challenging myself to follow through with my reasons for starting this blog.  For the most part, I shop the perimeter of the store.  I tend to try to make my own foods, but lately have become lazier than I would like.  I have also become lazy with my dairy free, gluten free diet.  With this being October 1st and the start of the fall season, I am challenging myself to really be focused on what we eat and how much of it is processed versus how much I make myself.

One thing I have started making from scratch is yogurt.  I used the "recipe" over at http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html and have loved how it comes out.  It is definitely thinner than store bought yogurt, but guess what?  All you have to do is strain it and then you have greek yogurt and it is delicious, thick and Creamy!

I plan to make my own gluten free bread today after I get home from a play date.  Unfortunately it is from a mix, but I had already bought it and don't want to waste it.  I plan on making up my own gluten free pancake mix, my own granola and granola bars, maybe even my own nut milk.  I am hoping to get back in the habit of cooking healthy foods for my family.

Along with cooking, I am also planning on continuing to research more about art therapy and how I can make it a career.  Being creative is something that is very important to me, including being creative in the kitchen.  Being as natural as possible is very important to me.  I am hoping to get back on track with following my beliefs and living a handmade and natural life as much as possible.  As the title of my blog states, there is definitely a balance, but my goal is to be more natural than processed!

Amy

2 comments:

  1. Fall is a good time to work towards healthy eating goals. To me fall means baking and cooking with all the lovely fall produce, so it's easier to jump start a more natural diet. I've never tried making my own yogurt, but I think I'll have to try it, as it sounds delicious and so much better than the sugar loaded store versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exxcited to follow along to a more natural way of life!!!

    ReplyDelete