Monday, July 22, 2013

Finding My Creative Style

Tuscan Style

I've been doing a lot of thinking about being creative and what it means to be creative.  I've also been thinking about what my design style is.  I haven't really decided what my style in general is, never mind my creative style.  I starting to come to terms with the fact that like in my professional career, in general and in being creative, I am more eclectic than anything else.

Bohemian Design


Sometimes, I think I am Bohemian.  Sometimes, I think I am Classic or Vintage or Traditional.  Sometimes, I think Country, Tuscan, or even French Provençal is really what I like.  Then there is the whole shabby chic style that I love too.  Other times, less often, I think I am modern.  As I think about it, I honestly think it is how I am feeling in the moment.

French Provencal

When you don't have a style, it makes it very difficult to design your house or your creative projects.  Then again, it can be fun to have eclectic tastes.  It isn't boring, but is makes it difficult to to be cohesive when decorating or trying to decide what colors and patterns to use when making something.
Modern Fabric

So not only do I have a hard time figuring out colors and style, I have a hard time figuring out what it is that I love to do, what I love to create.  I love to quilt, I love to do needlework, I love paper crafts, and I love making jewelry, I love clay work.  It's not a problem that I love all of these things.  The problem is that I am not proficient in any one area.  I also don't know where I'd like to focus to get proficient.  I guess, making jewelry is something that I do well and am somewhat proficient.  I actually feel pretty proficient in English Paper Piecing.  I would also say that I can knit pretty proficiently.  Now I just need to find the time to get more proficient in all the other things that I love!

One of these days, I'll figure out how to combine all the things I love and learn all the things that I want to.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment