Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What To Do Next?

Last Wednesday, I was a told that my part time position of 15 hours had been cut from the budget. Needless to say, it feels very strange not to go to work. It's also a little disconcerting not to have an income coming in. I will be applying for unemployment, the first time ever, but it still feels weird. I posted on Facebook that I was laid off and one of my friends mentioned asking the universe for the same set up "ask and you shall receive". I honestly thought about that before she even commented about it. The other thing I thought about in the same vein is, maybe I should thing about doing something more creative. Maybe my unemployment checks will help to feed my family while I start working on a more creative endeavor than social work. The other ironic thing with regards to this is another Facebook comment from my husband's cousin. I have made a few new bags and am really enjoying sewing and posted a picture of a cute quick envelope clutch that I made for my husband's reunion. The comment was that I should make more and sell them. Maybe that is the next step I should be taking. Could the lay off be a blessing in disguise?

I have been wanting to open an etsy shop for a while. A bunch of friends either have one or have recently opened one. Is this the time now for me? I am so scared that it will fail, but what if it doesn't? What if I can find a good niche to get into? I have been wondering if a good niche would be the fusion of recycle/up-cycled and natural materials with new synthetic materials. First it would go with the whole trying to be green in my life, then using recycled materials would hopefully be cost effective, and given the whole push for others to go green, just maybe this would be a decent niche. It would also be the fusion of old and new. Should I look at another areanof creativity? Is this crazy on my part?

I am reall seriously considering doing this as well as doing craft fairs. I would love to have a partner in all of this, but I'm not sure who. Maybe having a partner is a bad idea. I guess I really need to make a decision and just go for it if I decide that I really want to do this! So as my Facebook friend said "just put it out to the universe, ask and you will receive!"

I am asking "should I use this time to try to follow one of my dreams and see if I can help to provide for my family using my creativity?"

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment