Friday, May 13, 2011

Moving Forward!

So I have definitely made some changes for the better, but still have a lot of changes to make.  I am still not quite eating exactly the way I should, but I have been better about eating actual meat.  I still have animal products more than I want to, but small baby steps, so that I can ensure that this becomes a way of life vs just another short term diet.  My goal is to give up dieting for good and to start eating healthy so that my weight and my health stay where they should be.

Yesterday, I bought "Breaking the Food Seduction" by Dr Neal Barnard.  I have only read a couple of pages so I can't say how it is, but I am looking forward to reading more and figuring out how to break some of these bad habits/food addictions that I have.  This is really going to be a huge change for me.  I am really looking to change my way of thinking in general about a lot of things in life and  the area of food, at least I hope, will make some positive changes in a lot of different areas in my life.  My biggest goal is to stop eating meat and any animal product.  I need to start increasing my intake of fruits and veggies, which I really enjoy when I actually eat them.  I need to find good healthy options to deal with different cravings that I get, but I need to remember that once my body is back in health, I don't think that I'll continue to crave things like I do now.  Hopefully when I crave things, it will be few and far between and I can allow myself to indulge on a small scale level.  I also really need to give up the whole starchy carb thing, especially wheat, gluten, barley, malt, and yeast.  These along with cow's dairy all came back as a high chance for allergies/intolerances and I know thta I don't deal well with dairy so I think it's time that I attempt to see how I feel when I don't eat these things.

I am hoping that getting better with my eating will help me to have more energy and concentration to work on other things in my life that I am interested in.  I am also hoping that with better eating and adding in some exercise, my body will get back to a shape that I will be happy with and I will feel a little better about myself and have less doubts.  Not that I was skinny and in shape before 3 kids, but having 3 kids, who at one point were all under 1, does not do nice things to your body.

So here's to taking control and getting my health back so that I can be happier in all areas of my life!

Amy

2 comments:

  1. You can do it. Baby steps is all it takes. I know that we feel much better since giving up all meat. The only things that we never gave up were eggs (we eat them maybe once every two weeks) and cheese (once a week/every other week). I am lactose intolerant but I know that a piece of provolone or a sprinkle of cheddar cheese will not affect my system. 3 pieces of cheese sends me "over the limit" and I am sick for days. Come mid August we have been 1 year without meat. We plan to never go back to eating it. We are actually at the point where the smell of meat cooking or the seafood dept at the store make us sick.
    I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen the "Crazy Sexy Diet" by Kris Carr? Check it out. It will help you on your journey. I've also found "A Course in Weight Loss" by Marianne Williamson to be helpful. I've recently lost about 40 lbs and I have so much more energy. Your cravings will subside when you change your diet. All the best!

    ReplyDelete