Friday, April 15, 2011

Sewing

I may have bit off more than I can chew with this one, but I really want to make clothes for the kids and I just happened upon kids clothes week challenge at http://elsiemarley.com/, which I found through http://hazelnutgirl.blogspot.com/.  I wasn't searching for this challenge and since I said I wanted to listen to signs, I am taking this as a sign that I should take time to sew clothes for the kids.

On my way to work today, I was thinking about how much I like sewing and how I really need to do more of it.  I started thinking maybe I should take more classes about sewing and even fashion.  I was really thinking if I should start to think about purging a lot of my other crafting supplies (not totally, just a majority of them) and really focus on specific things, like sewing.

I really enjoy pretty much any and all crafts and want to maintain the ability to make things in different crafting areas, but I really need to settle in on something that I really enjoy and really focus on doing that well.  I am thinking that since I really enjoy sewing, and it is actually a very useful craft to have, that it would be a great thing to focus on.  I still want to make jewelry, scrapbook, make cards, and do all the other things that I have supplies for, just on a smaller level.  It's going to be really important for me to seriously think about purging my craft supplies, because I just don't have the time or the space to keep it all.  I have spent way too much money in the past and I kick myself when I think about how much money I could have in the bank if I had just had some control over my craft spending.  I think I am at the point now where, even though I still get that desire to buy and learn all sorts of new crafts, I can pull myself back and just buy what I need for a current project, not things for projects that I hope to do in the future.  I hate the thought of getting rid of my supplies, but I really need to think about my time and how I want to spend it. 

Right now I want to spend my time sewing and I can really justify spending that time sewing necessary items for the house (along with sewing, knitting and crocheting).  I am seriously thinking about training in this area.  I have thought about it in the past, but have just been a little scared at the thought of doing it.  I am always fearful that I am not creative enough, that I will not do well enough,  That overall I am not good enough.  I really need to get over this in so many areas of my life, so that I am no longer held back.  It will be interesting to see if I move forward with learnign more about sewing or if I just let it sit.  It will also be interesting to see if I end up purging some of my suppplies!

Amy

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! I have been sewing up a storm! I have actually thought about sewing a bunch of stuff and maybe tossing them on etsy to see if anything happened. I have so much scrap fabric that I want to start using up. If you are selling your other stuff let me know and I will see if I can scrape up some money to buy them from you!!

    ReplyDelete