Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cookbooks/Recipes

So, I have a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble for a book that I returned without a receipt.  I am trying to find a book that I want to use the gift certificate on that will be well used and worth me having in my collection of books.  I am thinking that a cookbook is a great thing to get since I am trying to get healthy and cook more of my own foods.  The problem is, I can't seem to find a cookbook that is worth my buying.  I am willing to spend money above what the gift certificate is worth but, I want to be able to enjoy cooking good food and also enjoy eating it.  I am also continuously looking for new websites for good recipes!

I am trying to continue on my path of getting healthy overall!  I have been continuing to walk with some running.  I am trying to make sure that we cook more at home and eat healthier alternatives to the bad stuff without depriving us of good tasting even sometimes healthier forms of those unhealthy foods.  I wish I new how to out certain things together.  I would love to find books on how to put certain spices, ingredients together.  I would love to learn how to take not so healthy traditional recipes and make them healthy!  I would love more vegetarian style recipes that are actually tasty.  I have a few vegetarian cookbooks, but they just don't seem to be all that healthy.  I am also interested in making more foods that are lower in the amount of meat used, but still have meat in them, just not a primary ingredient.  I am also looking to buy less processed foods and even start buying more of the ingredients in recipes and make things myself.  I have a few friends that are really good at doing their grocery shopping at Whole Foods and buying more whole ingredients vs packaged foods!  I am hoping to be like that some day!

Amy

2 comments:

  1. If you don't already have it, buy "the joy of cooking" - its basically a cooking bible and a great reference for just about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say Joy of Cooking, too! It's nice to have a good general reference cookbook.

    I know a lot of people love the Moosewood cookbook for vegetarian recipes, though I don't have it myself.

    ReplyDelete