Friday, October 16, 2009

The Joy Diet: Creativity

Last week's post was about desires.  One of my desires related to this week's topic: Creativity.  The only problem is that given that I am a SAHM to 3 kids under 2, I have very little time to fulfill my creative desires.  Since we are down to only one income, lack of free funds also limits my creativity since I am unable to try out al the new creative ideas that are out there.

When I think about my life, I think that I have always been a creative person.  My favorite Christmas gift as a child was the large box of craft supplies that my grandparents would get us each year.  I loved learning to sew, knit, and crochet from my grandmother.  I loved going through her scrap yarn and material.  I loved playing in my dad's woodshop.  I loved doing ceramics with my mom.  Then I became a teenager and dropped all the craft things that I loved for friend and school.  The one creative thing that I did keep was music.  I remained active in the school's music dept and was able to enjoy it, but when I look back, I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed my other creative endeavors.  Once I graduated from college and started working, I started to pick up being creative again and loved trying out new creative ventures.

I recently have had a very busy 3 years.  I now don't have the time and even the energy to be as creative as I would like.  Thankfully, I am able to be creative because I want to create things for my 3 kids.  I was able to make them simple Christening outfits and need to start on their Halloween costumes.  As much as I am grateful that I am being creative, I wish that I was able to create for the fun, but not just for the end product.

My wish/goal is to find time everyday to be creative.  It doesn't have to be a grand activity, actually it can be something small as long as it fulfills that creative part of me.  I believe the act of being creative vs the end product of creativity is what is important.  As a social worker, I believe that creativity is an important way to feed the body, mind, and soul and someday I'll find a way to combine the 2.

Amy

3 comments:

  1. It is so hard to find time for ourselves with young kids. I have 4 kids including 2-year old triplets, so I know where you are coming from. Since you believe in the process not the product, you can take advantage of the time they spend with arts and crafts as they get older. I find that my days are better if I draw, colour, paint, mash playdough, etc. with my kids. I just sit beside them and use the same materials that they are using. In the meantime, take time to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those days and I only had one!!! Finding time for yourself can be such a challenge. I remember counting a 3 minute shower as "time for myself."

    Making things for my daughter opened up such a flood of creativity for me. And I agree with Her Grace - doing arts & crafts with little ones is so freeing and fun and creates such lovely lasting memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I love making things for my kids. It always feels so good to know that they are using things that I made special for them instead of just mass produced items.

    ReplyDelete