Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Going Green

Well my plan to go green has not been going well at all.  I started out doing great when I started this blog, but now that Tom is back in school, it's crazy how busy I am.  Things are much busier and we haven't been able to get to the farmers market as much as we were during the summer.  I still try to cook more than doing take out, but we are doing take out more than I would like.  I am also spending more time in my car, which is definitely not green.  I have not been walking like I wanted to.  My goal was to shop daily by walking to the grocery store with the 3 kids.  That way, I would be buying what we needed, not using the car as much, and getting some exercise.  Unfortunately I have not been doing this.  I was actually going to start today, but it is raining and I am not taking 3 kids for a walk in the rain.  Thankfully I had bought most of the stuff for a crockpot version of butternut squash soup.  I believe that the crockpot (slow cooker) is a pretty green way of cooking.  Not only can you save energy this way, but I can get dinner started in the morning and not have to worry about it for the rest of the day.  So far I have made 2 new recipes in the slow cooker.  Tonight is the squash soup with no dairy.  Supposedly it's just as creamy as other versions that are ladened with cream and fat.  We'll see how it turns out.  I did buy a new slow cooker cook book that I will be trying out often (I hope).  I hope to get back on track with my going green!  I am still trying to recycle, but still need to work better on not driving as much, cooking for my family, and trying to eat either locally or what's in season!  Also I need to continue to eat healthier, exercise and use green cleaning products!

Go Green!

No comments:

Post a Comment